Towns of the province of HUELVA: Alájar - Almonaster la Real - Aracena - Cortegana - El Rompido - Cartaya - Fuenteheridos - Galaroza - Huelva - Isla Canela - Ayamonte - Isla Cristina-Islantilla - Jabugo - La Antilla - Lepe - Matalascañas - Mazagón - Nerva - Punta Umbría -
You are here:
The "Las Minas" region occupies the eastern half of the Huelva Andévalo. It is located halfway between the Sierra de Aracena and El Condado, making it an original homogeneous environment unity possessing features of both areas.
Nerva, Minas de Riotinto, El Campillo, Zalamea la Real, Berrocal, La Granada de Riotinto and Campofrío are the towns in the area.
The main attraction of area is its exclusive and spectacular landscape. Tabular surfaces, purple, orange, red, ochre colours existing on a large scale offers a scene full of beautiful contrasts.
The mines of the Riotinto have been exploited for approximately 5 000 years. The earliest archeological remains date back to the Iron age.
Any visitor contemplating the Mines for the first time cannot help feeling surprised by an awesome spectacle, and all the work of man.
Located in the village of Minas de Riotinto, this is the largest opencast mine in Europe and undoubtedly the closest to perfection. The size of its ellipse astonishes all those who visit it: 1200m long, 900m wide and 350m deep.
It was the most ambitious project of the English company and was still being worked 20 years ago. Se encuentra en la localidad de Minas de Riotinto y es la explotación a cielo abierto más grande de Europa y sin duda la más perfecta. Las dimensiones de su elipse asombran a todos cuantos la visitan: 1200m de largo, 900 de ancho y 350 de profundidad. Fue uno de los proyectos más ambiciosos de la compañía inglesa que gestionaba Las Minas y estuvo en explotación hasta hace 20 años.
PEÑA DEL HIERRO
An ancient mine where it is still possible to see the houses of the employees. From here the view of the Cuneca Minera is absolutely breathtaking. It is located in the surroundings of the village of Nerva.
RIOTINTO MINING MUSEUM
This was the first museum of its kind in Spain. The museum is located on the Plaza Ernest Lluch. The history of the Riotinto Mines is concentrated here, from its first inhabitants to practically the 20th century. You can contemplate among other things the two Roman statues found in the mines, work tools of all periods, and many objects related to the world of railways.
Particularly worthy of attention is the vagón del marahah (wagon of the Maharadjah), built for Queen Elizabeth II's trip to India in 1892 and that was eventually moved to Riotinto for the visit of King Alfonso XIII. It is considered the most luxurious railway coach in the world.
You will also find locomotives, such as the type N of 1930 or type K of 1907. Recently inaugurated is a reproduction in full size of a Roman mine, you have access to it and can thus feel the working conditions in those times.
The 11km touristic railway runs from the old mines of Talleres to los Frailes.The wagons built at the beginning of the century have been restored and the journey is parallel to the Rio tinto - one of the most important and attractive areas of la comarca.
RIOTINTO MINING PARK
Both the importance of its history and the landscape make the Cuenca Minera the ideal place for a "Mining Park".
It is a tematic park that organizes guided tours through “Las Minas”. La Fundación Riotinto, partiendo del Museo Minero, organiza visitas a todos estos lugares mencionados y los viajes en el ferrocarril turístico minero.
Information and reservations
ROMAN NECROPOLIS LA DEHESA
In the La Dehesa village next to the mines, lies a Roman necropolis dating back to the 2nd century a.c., a witness of the splendour the mines must have had in those times.
The remains buried here are of inhabitants of the Corta del lago village. There are two types of burials: the cuppae and the funeral towers or family mausoleums. (The Riotinto Foundation organizes visits).
ENGLISH DISTRICT OF BELLAVISTA
It´s situated in Minas de Riotinto. The English district was built at the end of the 19th century by the "Riotinto Company Limited" to house the managing staff of the company.
The Victorian atmosphere stemming from the architecture has been preserved intact. Of particular interest is the Anglican Chapel and the Club, built for leisure and as a meeting place after working hours.
There was a mini-golf where the four tennis courts are today.
HUELVA - Mining Area of Ríotinto. Information and photos of Mining Area of Ríotinto in HUELVA. SOL Spain On Line.
Hotels in other popular spanish destinations
© SOL Sevilla On Line S.L. all rights reserved
See and do...
Eat and drink...
Services for Spain