Towns of the province of CÁDIZ: Algar - Algeciras - Arcos de la Frontera - Barbate - Benalup-Casas Viejas - Cádiz - Castellar de la Frontera - Chiclana de la Frontera - Chipiona - Conil de la Frontera - El Bosque - El Puerto de Santa María - Grazalema - Jerez de la Frontera - Jimena de la Frontera - La Línea de la Concepción - Los Barrios - Los Caños de Meca - Medina-Sidonia - Olvera - Prado del Rey - Rota - San Fernando - San Martin del Tesorillo - San Roque / Sotogrande - Sanlúcar de Barrameda - Setenil de las Bodegas - Tarifa - Vejer de la Frontera - Villaluenga del Rosario - Zahara de la Sierra - Zahara de los Atunes -
You are here:
San Roque is located on a small hill in the area known as “ El Campo de Gibraltar , the town looks out over the whole of the Bay of Algeciras. The surrounding area is covered in forests of cork and pine trees. It has been declared an Historical-Artistic Monument.
The founding of San Roque goes back to the loss of Gibraltar to the British in 1704 when its inhabitants began to build the town around the Chapel of San Roque. Today the town has an almost Andalusian appearance, with a beautiful old quarter of steep streets, balconies with grills and flowers, and whitewashed patios.
San Roque has an extensive coastline (15 km), where one can find: Cala Sardina, Torreguadiaro, Sotogrande (Guadalquitón y Borondo), Alcaidesa (Torrecarbonera y Hacienda), Campamento, Puente Mayorga, Colonia y Guadarranque.
The Sotogrande complex deserves special mention with its magnificent sport facilities for polo, tennis, sailing and golf there is also an excellent marina with more than 500 moorings.
Pinar del Rey: 360 hectares of pine and cork trees, recreational areas and an environmental centre from where different nature trails may be undertaken.
The Mouth of the river Guadiaro and the Torreguadioaro lagoon, are two ecological areas of great interest for bird watchers.
Golf: There are 5 Golf Courses, La Alcaidesa, Sotogrande, Valderrama, San Roque Club , La Cañada and Almenara. RESERVE GREEN FEE in Sotogrande.
- Hotel NH Almenara: Almenara Golf-Hotel & Spa has the privilege of being surrounded by some of the best golf courses in Europe. Here you will find everything you need for a sense of well being, making sure you feel in a truly exclusive setting.
- Hotel NH Sotogrande: Situated in the south of Spain, in the exclusive Sotogrande urbanization in Cádiz. Surrounded by the best golf courses in Spain, the hotel is only 5 km from the beach and the marina, 60 km from Marbella and 100 km from Málaga.
The Church of Santa Maria La Coronada where José Cadaso's sepulchre can be found.
- The Governors Palace , 18th century, the headquarters of the “Campo de Gibraltar” military command in the 18th century and the present headquarters of the Municipal Cultural Foundation.
- The Armas Square where Manuel Ballón, "El Africano", made the first bull fighting pass in 1720.
- The Bull Ring.
- The Chapel of San Roque.
- The Alfonso XI Boulevard .
- The Town Hall.
- The “Mirador” (Viewpoint) Poeta Domingo of Mena, also known as the “Mirador” (Viewpoint) of The Canyons from where you can see the Rock of Gibraltar, the Bay of Algeciras and the African coast.
- The Ruins of Carteia where the Phoenicians settled in the 7th century BC, later the Carthaginians before becoming an important Roman town.
San Roque / Sotogrande Spain. Tourism in San Roque / Sotogrande Holidays in province of CÁDIZ, Spain. SOL Spain On Line.
Hotels in other popular spanish destinations
© SOL Sevilla On Line S.L. all rights reserved
See and do...
Services for Spain