Towns of the province of CÁDIZ: Algar - Algeciras - Arcos de la Frontera - Barbate - Benalup-Casas Viejas - Cádiz - Castellar de la Frontera - Chiclana de la Frontera - Chipiona - Conil de la Frontera - El Bosque - El Puerto de Santa María - Grazalema - Jerez de la Frontera - Jimena de la Frontera - La Línea de la Concepción - Los Barrios - Los Caños de Meca - Medina-Sidonia - Olvera - Prado del Rey - Rota - San Fernando - San Martin del Tesorillo - San Roque / Sotogrande - Sanlúcar de Barrameda - Setenil de las Bodegas - Tarifa - Vejer de la Frontera - Villaluenga del Rosario - Zahara de la Sierra - Zahara de los Atunes -
You are here:
Los Barrios is a town situated in the region of Gibraltar, at 131 kilometres from the capital of the province, Cadiz. It is located on the "Ruta del Toro" (Bull Route), named as such as a result of the various bull breeding grounds along the route.
As a geographical centre within the Region of Gibraltar, Los Barrios occupies a large portion of one of the richest and most extensive protected areas in Andalusia and Spain, the Los Alcornocales Natural Park.
A well looked after beach with fine golden sand and calm waters. It ends at the mouth of the Río Palmones, which composes the "Las Marismas del Río Palmones" nature spot of 58 Hectares, comprising the estuary, wetlands and dunes.
Situated beside the sea, it opens onto a bay with a coast of two kilometres forming a beautiful Natural Park on the marshes of the Palmones River.
Los Barrios’ strategic position in close proximity to the Straits of Gibraltar explains its early settlement, dating back to Prehistoric times. Important samples of cave painting have been conserved from the period among which we should highlight the range found in shelters around the port of Bacinete.
Source and Photos: Turismo de Los Barrios y Campo de Gibraltar.
- Hotel Montera Plaza: Inaugurated in April 2007 and located in the heart of Campo de Gibraltar and “Los Alcornocales” Natural Park, this cosy Hotel offers perfect facilities for business staying or even enjoying unforgettable holidays.
- Hotel Guadacorte Park: Opened in October of 1999 Opened in October of 1999 and located in the heart of the Gibraltar peninsula, this charming hotel offers ideal facilities for a business visit or to enjoy an unforgettable vacation.
A curious mass of rock, just off the regional highway from Jerez to Los Barrios, 88 km. Erosion has worn away and borne through the rock, giving it the surprising shape of a bullfighter’s hat from which it gets its name. Its silhouette really is a genuine symbol of the world of bullfighting.
Around 18 kilometres from the town towards Jerez you will come across the Embalse de Charco Redondo (The Round Pool Reservoir). Its 85hm³ capacity comprises an elegant artificial lake. A recreation ground of the same name as the lake is situated to the left of the road. Well equipped and with wide open spaces, its multiple services and areas, some wooded and others clear, give visitors the chance to find a quiet corner to enjoy being in the heart of nature.
The most interesting are:
- The Church of San Isidro Labrador, 18 th century, a beautiful church with three naves.
- The Pósito building, also 18 th century that was used as a granary.
- The house of the “Doncellas”, which during the war of independence was used to protect the town's virgins from the French.
Los Barrios Spain. Tourism in Los Barrios Holidays in province of CÁDIZ, Spain. SOL Spain On Line.
Hotels in other popular spanish destinations
© SOL Sevilla On Line S.L. all rights reserved
See and do...
Services for Spain